Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Crochet - A Dying Art

Today - I am going to teach a crochet class.  I do this every few months.  I love to crochet.  It is so relaxing.  I learned when I was in grade school.  I would watch the nuns crochet  at lunchtime.  One day I asked Sister Veronica if she would teach me.  It was so much fun to learn.  Several of my neighbors crocheted too - and my grandmother. She lived in Wisconsin and we only saw her in the summer.  I made her a shawl every year as a Christmas gift.  My grandmother had a "Popcorn Stitch" crocheted bedspread on her bed.  It was made of string and must have weighed 50 pounds!!!!!  It was HEAVY but soooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!  She also made lace for doilies and pillowcases!  It is a shame that people do not have the time t relax and enjoy making things by hand - but as long as someone wants to learn...I will teach them!


Crocheted Doll Dress from the State Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment